Friday, June 4, 2010

Halibut Fishing

Lisa and Brad surprised us with a chance to go halibut fishing on Saturday (May 29th). At 7:30am we met the caption of our charter while Michael happily spent some one-on-one time with his grandparents. We went about 15miles out to sea and for 4 hours cast our lines overboard, allowing the 2lb weight to sink 200 feet. Any time we had a bite we had to reel and reel and REEL our catch up to the surface where the crew would hook it and bring it the rest of the way up onto the boat. It was fun but very tiring. Jay and I each caught at least 6 halibut (could only keep 2), I caugh one of the biggest fish of the day weighing in at a whopping 50lbs (and boy was it tiring reeling that sucker up, Jay had to finally help hold my pole while I reeled cause my arm got so tired). On the way back to port we incounted numerous birds, a gang of sea otters, and 3 harper seals. The weather was just perfect and all in all it was a very relaxing adventure, and much needed time alone together.

--- My fish is the one farthest to the left (right next to Jay)

--- I caught a fish this big ---



No comments: